Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Non-Vegan American Girl

One of my hobbies is sewing. Mostly I like quilting and the occasional outfit for Belen. But lately I am having so much fun thinking of fun designs for Miss Darcy, Belen's American Girl doll. Last week they were having a special and offered free shipping. I bought a few outfits but I still want to come up with something of my own.
About two years ago I bought a piece of leather for a steal and had hoped to make some sort of coin purse out of it. If any of you haven't bought leather before know that it doesn't come in neat little bolts perfectly folded. I had this random shaped piece and while I was cutting out patterns inspiration hit me. I thought of making a doll outfit to practice working with leather.
Lately I have been reading about Chanel and looking at her designs. I channeled my inner Coco and made a leather suit. This is my take on a mid century design with my modern twist.
The jacket is lined with 100% cotton, an Alexander Henry print and I used pre-made bias tape, my favorite thing to use when making doll clothes. I don't remember how much the leather cost me but the fabric was $3 a yard and I probably used a fat quarter's worth. If I were to buy a leather outfit at the American Girl store I know it would've cost me a lot more. Most of the fun is coming up with a design in your head, then making that thought into something. Fruition.
Dress up anyone?

2 comments: