Sunday, November 14, 2010

Eat. Pray. Love. Where's dessert?



This week I spent it with my best friend Cheryl. It was a last minute trip thanks to our friend, Lynsey. Cheryl has been through one of the most difficult years imaginable. It started with her husband being emotionally abusive to finding out his affairs to divorce. It's one thing to be divorced, it's another to divorce a pathological liar that has a personality disorder. I have seen her take all kinds of abuse and handle herself with grace and dignity. During the whole process she relied on prayer and doing the right thing rather than retaliation. I have gained a whole new level of respect for my friend and my wish and hope for her is to protect her from further humiliation and abuse. When the straw broke the proverbial camel's back I called in a favor and was beyond thrilled when we realized we could pull off her escape.
The day I picked her up she came in and took a 5 hour nap. We tip-toed around the house peeking in looks at baby Ember. I was happy that Cheryl could come to my house and crash.
I made a comfort meal of steamed lentils, coconut curry rice and tomato and cucumber salad. The perfect meal in my book. They next day Cheryl made me the PERFECT chocolate cupcakes. I need her to come on here and give us all a lesson on how to make the best frosting in the world.
During the week we attempted sewing, which was really just cutting out a pattern for a bag and looking at the heap of fabric on my counter for the rest of the week. We watched movies in bed and watched our little girls bond. They are now adopted sisters and Isabella is very proud to be a big sister. Ember was the perfect house guest. Cute as a baby girl could possibly be and such a little cuddle bug. The pangs of infertility crashed on me as I watched my friend nurse her baby, but I was also feeling so proud of Cheryl for being such an amazing mother.
One thing you should know is that whenever you come visit us in San Clemente, we will go to our favorite joint, Hapa J's. It's a fusion of Hawaiian, Asian and yumminess. It's rare that we can go somewhere that everyone leaves happy. You will never have a steaming pile of Kalua pork nachos like they have at Hapa's.
Phil was happy that Cheryl cooked him a steak and bake potato, something I just found out after 8 years that Phil will eat. He's loving the time off he gets when she visits. I knew when I informed him that Cher and Ember would be coming for a visit the next day he would immediately come up with an all-day surf trip. Not only does he love his free time but he has a friendship with my friend. He is genuine in his concern for her and her kids and wants to see her happy. It's a win win and I am so blessed to be married to that man!
The rest of the week was spent avoiding house chores and indulging in guilt free napping. All in all it was a very successful week. Physically is was a bust but our souls were filled with friendship and Hapa J goodness. We love you Cheryl!



5 comments:

  1. I'll say it again: how did I get so lucky to have you as a friend??? P.s. Don't expect me to thank you for gaining 3 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing week. How come you never blog about my visits???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that food is insane! I've never seen anything like it.

    P.S. I for one am glad you're blogging. We lost touch a while back but I still remember I love your personality! Can't wait to read more :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, found this post as a redirect from Cheryl's blog. Sounds like a great week, and she is so lucky to have a great friend like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO glad I was able to get her there and that I hadn't given the passes away to someone else!! Cheryl definitely needed them more than anyone else I could think of...

    ReplyDelete