Monday, November 15, 2010

Haemophilus influenza is a real asshole!

My poor little Izzypop has been sick for days now. It started Wednesday night, she was nestled in between Phil and I and she felt very hot. She then woke up and vomited all over her favorite parent.... it wasn't me. Phil went away to Vegas and I was left with SSKS, the sweetest sick kid syndrome. She was so sweet, unbearably sweet to me. She told me she loved me at least 5 times an hour. Every hour that she would wake up during the night she would give me some kind of wonderful affirmation. It's hard to be pissed off when you get a "double thumbs up for being the best mom in my whole life" line at 2 a.m. Saturday I had plans to clean my house from top to bottom, but Isabella had other plans, and that was to vegg all day and have me hold her. I got to the point that I broke out my baby sling and headed to the grocery store. I was so worried that she wasn't eating that I walked around with her and anything she felt like eating I bought. That night I made a picnic dinner of salt and vinegar chips, egg whites with Tabasco sauce, cauliflower with dip, sourdough bread and jello.
One of the many charming things about my kid is that she is like no other.
Saturday I noticed that her eyes looked puffy and by Sunday it was a full blown infection. She was in and out of napping, and if you know her you know that she won't normally nap. I snuck out of her embrace and started doing the 2 day old dishes when she woke up crying because I was not there. This is the kind of influenza that makes your child want to be touching you AT ALL TIMES!
Sunday I had to stay home for some nasty business of my own (did you know I can pee a whole gallon in one day?) and so we had another pj day. Monday after I got back from giving my urine collection and letting angry lab technicians poke me with needles for 2.5 hours I felt that I should take her to the doctor. I got in an hour later and I've never had a children's doctor tell me that something looks like hell. My poor sugarbutt.
I have abandoned my no TV rule while she is dealing with her influenza issues. I am willing to use the television as a bribe so that my child will allow me to pin her down and give her eye drops. I am not above holding Scooby Doo hostage until she drinks her very expensive medicine instead of throwing it up.
I know I'm complaining but really, I hate seeing my kid sick. I want to take away any pain just so I don't have to look at my child's face and feel helpless. The only thing I can control is how available I am to my high fever, high maintenance child. I can cuddle with her for hours, I can hold her all day until my legs feel numb. I can cook up the most random feast just to see her take a couple of bites. If that is what helps her feel better, then baby, momma is here!
p.s. I did run to Trader Joe's this afternoon. I just don't have the energy to make you jealous today.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Izzy! I hope she feels better soon. And I hope you don't get it too! How is she feeling today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to be reading your words again. I can hear you saying them and it makes me happy. I'm sorry Belen has been sick! I wish I could come help.
    There is supposed to be a big storm soon. Does that mean we will see you for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete